Friday, April 8, 2011

Seniors

(2011 Seniors on the Baltimore Choir Trip)


Meet a very special group of students.


My senior choir members.


This group holds a very special and unique place in my heart. They are the first group of students that I have taught from their freshmen year to senior year. They are my very first students that I ever taught. The two girls on the left and the two next to me have been members of my choir for all four years as well. I try my best not to play favorites. But, I just can't help it with this group. They have each played a significant role in my development as a teacher and as a musician. They are each very special to me and I will miss them terribly next year. In fact, I have joked with them that I am going to fail them in choir so they can't graduate and have to come back next year!


When I started teaching, I wasn't much older than them. I was 23, they were 14 and 15. Only 8 or 9 years difference. That's not a big age difference when you think about it. And I still had so much maturing to do. I think about that first year and I am so thankful for the patience that they had with me and for the relationships that have come from that first year.


This year's Baltimore trip was so much fun with them. It's my tradition that I take the seniors in my "chaperone" group and we get to spend time together. It's always so much fun and so relaxed when we have those moments. Every time I yelled for the kids to find their chaperone they'd come up to Jeff and me and say "found you mom/dad!"


So, you can see why they hold a special place in my heart. They are each precious to me and I will miss them very much, but I know that God has special plans for each of them and I can't wait to see where he will lead them.

No comments:

Post a Comment