Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sweetness

This past weekend my sister married her best friend. It was such a sweet weekend for all of us. For the bridal party, we were all closely knit. In fact, with the exception of two best friends, one from the groom's side and one from the bride's side, all of us were related to each other. We had such a fun time together and it was just one huge celebration.

But the sweetest moment of all was when the wedding ceremony actually started and you looked down the row of the bridal party and you saw that Hilary and I, Stephanye's sisters, Emily, Bennett's sister and one of my friends from growing up (in fact, I was in her wedding), Jeff Rogers, Bennett's dad, Eric, Emily's husband, and Jeff, my husband, were all crying!

I think what struck me was the fact that both of these wonderful people were later in life than when most Christian couples marry, had not caved to the world's definition of worth is only found in a significant other, but had held out for each other. That and the fact that they had grown up with each other, but didn't have their eyes opened until after college. Overall, it made for a very sweet and worshipful ceremony. And I realized that I had just gained another family!

Afterwards I had the opportunity to sing the "Father/Daughter" dance song, and the words were really appropriate for me, Stephanye, and Hilary and our step-dad.

"They say miracles don't happen everyday,
but in my heart, I know this isn't true.
There are blessings in this life that are more than merely miracles.
And everyday, in every way, that blessing is you.

You stepped into my life
when I needed you most.
Growing so close,
you shared my tears and my laughter.
You opened my eyes
to the kind of love you give.
And your love will live
in my heart forever after.

There are heroes in this world who go unsung.
Yet they touch so many lives along the way.
With no spotlight, no applause, they're like shining stars.
And every day, in every way, you're my hero.

You stepped into my life
when I needed you most.
Growing so close,
you shared my tears and my laughter.
You opened my eyes
to the kind of love you give.
And your love will live
in my heart forever after.

Life isn't always easy
but you never turned away.
And deep inside I know,
I'll always bless the day


 You stepped into my life
when I needed you most.
Growing so close,
you shared my tears and my laughter.
You opened my eyes
to the kind of love you give.
And your love will live
in my heart forever after."

Lesson: Family comes in all forms and continues to grow as long as your heart is open to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment