Thursday, May 17, 2012

World View

A lesson that I have learned this year is just how important it is to know and be able to defend your world view. I've always loved discussing apologetics and world view, and I have always known that this was a pretty important thing, but this year, as I taught my freshmen world view class, I learned and realized how empowered and equipped I feel with this confidence in my world view.

Here's the simple question that we ask all year long:

Does that idea fit reality?

For example, does the idea that all of what we see and know today came out of chaos fit reality? In other words, look around you (or at yourself). Does it make sense to claim that the design we see in the world came out of chaos? That's what evolution claims. That order came out of chaos. Here's a simple illustration: take a bunch of legos and throw them on the ground. No matter how many times you do this (chaos), they are not going to form a perfectly scaled model of any sort of building, vehicle, or landscape. We don't see order coming out of chaos in this world. So, I ask my students after discussing this idea of design before a designer "does this fit reality?" No! So, evolution must not work as a world view.

Anyways, my prayer for my students is that they would feel as equipped as I do. That they would continue to look at the world and ask "does that idea fit reality?" That they have learned the same lesson that I have, that it is crucial to know and be able to defend your world view.

2 Corinthians 10:4-5

"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up agains the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."


No comments:

Post a Comment